Thursday, October 20, 2011

Who needs Halloween candy anyhow?

In the absence of new Halloween candy I have discovered two new candies worthy of review.

On the market since late this Summer, Mamba Gummies, available in both regular and sour varieties, are fantastic! Both the Sour and Regular boast real fruit juice flavorings represented in Banana, Orange, Raspberry, Pineapple, Watermelon and Cherry. The Raspberry is particularly delicious and the banana isn't even too objectionable although I would prefer lemon. The chew is great, on par with Haribo gummies, although the sour variety is a bit softer and more like a pectin candy. The shapes are funny if you can identify them and include sharks, birds and fruit characters. While the sour doesn't compare to a Sour Patch Kid they do deliver a pleasant tang and I wouldn't change a thing. The Sour version reminds me of one of my favorite college study snacks, Sour Gummy Bears. With so many positive attributes I wasn't surprised at all to learn that they are made in Germany. Hooray for the German Gummi makers!

Starburst has introduced a great new variety called Flavor Morph. Orange chews morph to Orange-Strawberry and Cherry morph to Cherry-Lime. Both flavors are delicious, I'd love to try a raspberry lemon or strawberry lemon version. I urge you to find and try these before you figure out how they work. In this case the less you know the better, it's way more fun to have a little sugar molecular gastronome experience. I promise this flavor changing sweet won't turn you into a giant blueberry ala Violet Beauregarde and the 3 Course Meal Gum. Spoiler alert - here's how they work. There are little flavor beads throughout each chew (they are visible). As you chew, the pockets of flavoring burst open, voila flavor morph. Although the fun factor of the flavor morph is lessened when you understand the basic magic, they are fantastic. Hooray for a creative new candy!

Skipping to my first new Christmas candy find, I'm looking forward to trying the Skittles Holiday Mix.  In shades of green and red, flavors include Cherry, Grape, Lemon, Lime and Strawberry (the traditional mix includes Orange not Strawberry). I didn't pick them up yet so stay tuned for a flavor review. Let's hope this is just the beginning of many new Christmas candies.         

No comments:

Post a Comment