Monday, November 7, 2011

Bye Bye Butterfly

It has been tough having pet caterpillars over the last month. I spent lots of time worrying about my friends Peanut and Butter, knowing they were late to the scene and that they needed to move quickly if they were going to survive. They were anything but quick in their entire transformation. In fact, they took so much longer than Yipes did, it was really like learning the process a new. The four pictures below are all of Butter, she packed in on 10.12 and emerged on 10.30, 8 days longer than expected. I was lucky enough to see her break out of her chrysalis and caught some video footage




Let's not forget about Peanut who amazed me when he packed in on 10.21 nine days after Butter. He emerged on 11.2 and was much more eager to leave. I spent several days trying to convince Butter to fly, she was not interested in leaving. Even after Peanut left on 11.4, Butter just stayed. I brought her in at night and began wondering if she might hibernate in my house. Finally, after sitting on the roof of her cage for several hours yesterday (11.6), she took off. I didn't get to see either of my friends on their maiden voyage but I am incredibly hopeful that they have headed South. My butterfly friends are gone for the year, time to think about planting for them to return in the Spring.

Peanut gearing up to take off
Peanut and Butter, being beautiful and reluctant to fly

1 comment: