Monday, July 19, 2010

Hiveberry Popsicles

Outdoor temperature: 79
Indoor temperature: 80

Yup, I'm pretty sure that my air conditioning has stopped working. I'm sorry, but what. the. hell. I never use my air. I was running it because I have hives. Hives that have attacked my face and kept me from fun things. Hives that were most likely caused because I ate Strawberries *gasp!* Are you for real? A berry that I have consumed as many of as I could, since the moment we met? And now, when I have just begun to have some hope that I will return to a non hive moment the freaking air conditioning stops working? Filter changed. Batteries replaced. Reprogrammed. Still not working.

I keep looking for a different way to look at this experience and am always looking for the humor in the moment. While poofy faced, I discovered I could make extra funny faces, that was fun-ish. I considered making a video of myself saying 'just put your lips together and blow' and trying to whistle (which I can't do when my lips aren't inflated, but that's besides the point), also entertaining. But I'm loosing steam. I'm hardly in a place to have to fight for physical health. I've been fighting uphill against a serious depressive episode for almost two years and I am tired. I could really use a break and face hives house arrest hardly seemed like a trip to the spa.

To distract myself from my super exciting weekend indoors, I took my sorry self to the kitchen and made popsicles. Yes, you read that correctly, this crazy girl has been pushed to the brink, she's making Popsicles because she can't bake right now. Screw you heat, I'll put a frosty spell on you! Always a bargain hunter, I managed to score a fancy Williams-Sonoma Popsicle mold for a crazy deal over 5 years ago. This was the first time I used the mold, it gets a huge thumbs up. It was easy to use and has a nice metal cover that holds the sticks in place. I basically made up a smoothie with yogurt, blueberries and orange juice and froze it in pop shape, nothing fancy yet. I also made an orange juice and berry (sans hiveberry) version. Both show great promise.

I think I'll add fun, seasonal freezer treats to my menu. You know you'd stop in for one, an ice pop would be a perfect accompaniment to a stroll on a summer evening. Here are some ice pop flavors that will be available: blueberries and cream, blackberry cantaloupe, cucumber mint, raspberry puree with a hint of jalapeno, lavender honey, and Concorde grape.

Hives, the mother of invention.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, man, that sounds like fun. I'm not a big ice cream person but popsicles sound like the way to go.

    ReplyDelete