Monday, August 2, 2010

Food Adventures of a Hive Free Gal


When I woke up on Sunday morning I wasn’t sure if it was Sunday or Monday. It had been seven weeks since I had two days in a row off from work without hives. I celebrated my hive free weekend by spending tons of time outside and making great food. A few food highlights are below.
On Saturday morning I went to the market and picked up ingredients for mom’s birthday lunch. BLTs with Jordandal Farms bacon, beautiful lettuce, a new to me green called Purslane (turns out it's a weed to most), brandy wine tomato, sweet basil pesto from Renaissance Farm on lightly toasted wheat Madison Sourdough. I served it with seedless yellow watermelon (one nephew thought it was really good, the other wasn’t into this ‘wrong color’ watermelon), muskmelon and a cucumber and carrot salad. The adults had mini rootbeer floats with lunch. For dessert everyone had an individual molten chocolate cake with blueberries and raspberries.
Late Saturday night I decided to make blueberry muffins. It was my first time substituting seaberry juice for citrus. The muffins were great but I don't know that the seaberry juice had any real impact. It's a bit difficult to say because it was a small amount of juice being used to flavor the sugar that went on top of the muffins. Not a big part of the overall muffine experience but a great local substitute for citrus. Carandale Farm has been doing some cool research on non traditional crops including seaberries, hooray for our local Farmers!

Dinner on Sunday was yellow watermelon and a kitchen sink salad with bacon bits, tomato warmed with garlic and basil, cucumbers and carrots.
If this is making you Madison area folks hungry consider signing up for the Eat Local Challenge being held by the Willy Street Coop. It’s free to sign up and you score a bunch of great coupons for local items that don’t typically offer deals, plus recipes, a shirt and a food journal. This is the first year of the challenge and they were already close to 500 participants on Thursday last week. There are different levels so you can find the right fit for you and your eating habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment