Monday, November 15, 2010

The humming bird goes shopping



Imagine Elmer Fudd has a cold and is speaking in super slow motion.  Now, make that voice come from a kid in a stoller who is in ‘name that item’ mode.  Finally, place him in the same antique store that I chose to wander on Sunday.  He and his dad were always sure to be no more than one booth away from me (this place wasn't crowded).  Young Elmer was particularly fond of fans and tractors.  Derrhhhhhhhhhhs a twaaaacktooooooorre (there’s a tractor).  Oh so entertaining, at times annoying – mostly when the dad decided he needed to push the kid in the stroller into the booth I was in that had no more than 3 feet to stand in.  But for the most part it was funny to hear him say words in his wacky gravely voice.

The best find at the antiques mall? Hands down, the glass serving plates in a category I’d never heard of, Garden Party.  Yes, that’s right, there was a time in life when there were plates specific to hosting a meal in your garden.  They were small, crystal rectangles with a partition for your food and for your coffee or tea cup.  But what really sealed this as the best find was the built in ashtray.  Yes, that’s right, this beautiful set of crystal garden party plates included a place to put your cigarette butt during a time when everyone smoked after a meal.  There is something I love about It, and something so incredibly wrong about it, that I can’t even imagine the world that these come from.

Of course my real reason for going to the antiques mall was to scout out candy dishes and cake plates.  I determined that for about $500 I could purchase a really good collection of display pieces for my store.  I also reminded myself that I have expensive and impeccable taste when I found myself drooling over an absolutely fabulous square cake stand from at least 15 feet away.  The price on this beauty? Oh you know, just $99.  I’m thinking that purchase will be made in celebration of making a profit.


It’s been two weeks since I last baked or stirred some sugar.  Thankfully, the first Barker Baking Fest is scheduled for this upcoming Saturday.  One of my two ‘new’ college friends, Amy Barker, is coming into town to bake with me.  We’re hoping to knock out some Christmas cookies that can be frozen, how’s that for planning?  The best part, I’m thinking with this kind of preparation I could actually make one or two gingerbread houses.  Ohhhhhh Snap!  I’m pretty certain that I have sugar in my veins.

No comments:

Post a Comment